Running Cyrus Imap under a different user

Clement Hermann (nodens) nodens2099 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 15:59:53 EDT 2010

Le 03/11/2010 18:03, Gabriele Bulfon a écrit :
> Thanx for the quick reply ;)
>
> Yes, environment is correctly exported.
> Maybe there is something I can tell to Linux so that it gives my
> environement to anyone
> changing user to myuser?

You are not supposed to use sudo to do this. The correct way is to login
as root (or change identity via su -, or let init run the init script
for you at startup), and launch the init script to start cyrus master,
which will drop privileges when forking to child processes (imapd,
pop3d, etc).

sudo *will* remove some environment variables, as a security mesure.

It could be that the best way to achieve what you want is to modify an
existing binary package of cyrus imapd for your distribution, modifiying
only the user-related configure options and configuration scripts.

Cheers,
--
Clement Hermann (nodens)
- "L'air pur ? c'est pas en RL, ça ? c'est pas hors charte ?"

Vous trouverez ma clef publique sur le serveur public pgp.mit.edu.
Please find my public key on the public keyserver pgp.mit.edu.