cyrus-imapd v2.4.2 on CentOS issue with deleting users

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 2 17:42:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 02:08:17PM -0400, Robert Spellman wrote:
> I think you are close.  As soon as I closed my email client, the
> folders were deleted, along with the ability to recreate the
> mailbox.
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I suppose in a
> normal, production environment, I don't go around deleting and then
> recreating mailbox quite so often.

Ok - your IMAP client was holding the lock open so the cleanup didn't
finish.  Basically 2.4.x delays deletion of a mailbox until all the
current users have closed it - which is why the files were still
around.  This may be pretty broken with subfolders when deleting an
entire user though - I'll have to think about it for a bit...

Basically, it was correct to refuse to recreate the mailbox because
the old mailbox was still held open by another connection.  I'm
leaning towards adding "kill currently open connections for this
user" logic inside Cyrus actually, because replication failover and
murder XFER have similar issues with a still-open connection existing
as they clean up.

Bron.

Bron.