Odd problem: IMAP/S suddenly not working, but no errors, and IMAP still works

Chris Pepper pepper at cbio.mskcc.org
Mon Nov 1 21:13:23 EDT 2010

On 11/1/10 7:26 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:40:13PM -0400, Chris Pepper wrote:
>> Bron,
>>
>> 	My Cyrus is from RPM, and I am just nursing it along until my users
>> finish migrating off and FastMail manages to complete my own
>> migration, so I don't want to build from source. Why would IMAP/S
>> block on empty /dev/random, while IMAP+STARTTLS works? FWIW, SASL2
>> seems to use urandom.
>
> I really don't know to be honest - we don't run any ssl enabled imapds,
> we do all the ssl in nginx on the frontend.  It sounds like Rob's
> workaround might be all you need though :)

	Neither do I. I decided to re-enable pop3 (which I don't use or allow,
and had recently commented out) in cyrus.conf and restarted cyrus-imapd,
and IMAP/SSL is working again! I commented it out and restarted Cyrus,
and port 993 is still working.

	I'd say I just needed to restart the daemon, except I rebooted Saturday
night after port 993 stopped working, so I don't know what's up.

	One interesting & odd data point: after "service cyrus-imapd stop", I
still had a couple active connections to an imap daemon which was
listening on port 993. I killed the process, but again that couldn't
have persisted across the reboot I performed 1d19h ago.

	Bizarre! Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Chris