Odd problem: IMAP/S suddenly not working, but no errors, and IMAP still works

Chris Pepper pepper at cbio.mskcc.org
Mon Nov 1 11:27:07 EDT 2010

On 11/1/10 10:41 AM, Dan White wrote:
> On 31/10/10 20:51 -0400, Chris Pepper wrote:
>> Alternatively, is there a way to make sure Cyrus requires STARTTLS on
>> 143? I was blocking external access to it to make sure users always use
>> encryption to connect, but port 143 with STARTTLS required would be an
>> acceptable alternative.
>
> You can set 'allowplaintext: 0' to disallow plaintext logins over port 143.
> That would require clients to perform a STARTTLS, or negotiate a SASL
> security layer which meets your 'sasl_minimum_layer:' setting.

	Excellent, thanks!

> allowplaintext: 0

	I am leaving sasl_minimum_layer at default for now. LOGINDISABLED before STARTTLS is encouraging, but I don't know why "Authentication failed. generic failure" *after* STARTTLS. On the other hand, with "allowplaintext: 0" and after restarting cyrus-imapd, I can still get mail, so I suspect this is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Pepper:                <http://cbio.mskcc.org/>