what is the DELETED directory in spool

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon May 24 13:38:36 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 19:23 +0200, Eric Doutreleau wrote:

I describe the delayed expunge feature in some detail in the Cyrus
chapter of WMOGAG:
<http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/whitemice/wmogag/file_view>

> i didn't understand how it works
> for example i have a user
> i run /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -v -E 1 -X 1 -D 1 -p user.huang_yi
> and i got
> Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 1 days
> Expunged 0 out of 0 messages from 0 mailboxes
> Removing deleted mailboxes older than 1 days
> Removed 0 deleted mailboxes
> this user hasn't logged since a long time then he can't have deleted
> item less than one day older
> in the Deleted repertoire he has 178M of mail
> but as u can see nothing was deleted

The -p option is "Only find mailboxes starting with this prefix."  It
could be that DELETED.user.huang_yi [if that folder exists] doesn't
match the pattern of starting with "user.huang_yu"

It looks like that is true

sardine.mormail.com> lm DELETED.user.wcreswel*
DELETED.user.wcreswel.4B950AAB (\HasNoChildren)
DELETED.user.wcreswel.SPAM.4B950AAB (\HasNoChildren)
DELETED.user.wcreswel.sent-mail.4B950AAB (\HasNoChildren)

- yet -

/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -v -E 1 -X 1 -D 1 -p user.wcreswel
Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 1 days

Expunged 0 out of 0 messages from 0 mailboxes
Removing deleted mailboxes older than 1 days
Removed 0 deleted mailboxes

 - you need to include the proper prefix  -

$ /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyr_expire -v -E 1 -X 1 -D 1 -p
DELETED.user.wcreswel
Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 1 days

Expunged 0 out of 0 messages from 0 mailboxes
Removing deleted mailboxes older than 1 days
Removing: DELETED.user.wcreswel.4B950AAB
Removing: DELETED.user.wcreswel.SPAM.4B950AAB
Removing: DELETED.user.wcreswel.sent-mail.4B950AAB
Removed 3 deleted mailboxes

- the DELETED isn't assumed.

I suppose I should add that to my documentation.

And please don't top-post.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>