Not possible to replicate from 2.3.7 to 2.3.16?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 27 20:03:58 EDT 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:19:06AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> So, is it expected to be generally possible to replicate from 2.3.7 to
> 2.3.16?  If so, would anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong
> here?  If it's not possible, would it be reasonable to migrate initially
> using 2.3.7 on the replica and then update to 2.3.16?  (I'm trying to
> avoid downtime as much as is possible.)

No, sorry.  Replication across versions is trick at the best of times,
and you're talking about versions 3 and a half years apart!  We did a
lot of work on replication between those releases.

Unfortunately, your only real option is to upgrade to 2.3.16 on both
at roughly the same time.  I would actually strongly recommend
shutting down the master while installing the upgrade, just so that
you don't get any processes bailing out with newer format mailboxes.
I'm pretty sure we did a mailbox version upgrade somewhere between
2.3.7 and 2.3.16.

The upgrade itself should go seamlessly.  Because of the mailbox
format change, you will get an IO hit as each mailbox open causes
a full index file rewrite to upgrade it to the new format!

This also means you can't downgrade again without doing a full
reconstruct of every mailbox.  But then again, you won't want to :)
2.3.16 is pretty nice.

Regards,

Bron ( not as nice as future branch WILL be of course... )