Recovering crashed cyrus server mailbox

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Mar 10 11:59:16 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 13:39 -0300, Diego V wrote:

> As I can see I, having exactly the same problem as Robert. Here some
> more info on what I did.
> Please, I really need some help.
>

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>
> wrote:
>
>         > Hi everyone,
>         >
>         > Im having a really bad time restoring  my imap server.
>         >
>         > My cyrus server discs died and I was just able to recover
>         some of the
>         > data.
>         > I have almost everything from /var/spool/imap but none
>         from /var/lib/imap
>         >
>         > Thus I copy just one user's mailbox for testing. I created
>         that user again
>         > with cyradm, then copied all messages to its
>         > /var/spool/imap/f/user/foouser
>         > folder. Run reconstruct for that mailbox.
>         > So far so good. Now, when trying to check mails both from
>         outlook and
>         > thunderbird I cant see any messages.
>         >
>         > Boht partiotions have permissions set. chown -R cyrus.mail .
>         chmod -R 750
>         >
>         > Apparently, clients are looking where they should. I get
>         these lines on
>         > maillog when I ty to browse a folder:
>         > open: user xxx opened INBOX.folder
>         >  open: user xxx opened INBOX.folder2
>         >
>         > No messages are shown though but all files are on those mail
>         folders. Ive
>         > run every database or mailbox reconstruction utility with no
>         success.
>

>         Do you see the following files
>         in /var/spool/imap/f/user/foouser
>         cyrus.cache
>         cyrus.header
>         cyrus.index
>

> Yes, The cyrus files are there on each folder-
>

>         and in /var/lib/imap/user/f/
>         foouser.seen
>         foouser.sub
>
> Also there.
>
>         And did you use the -f option with reconstruct?
>

> Yes, I did
>
> Just used ctl_mboxlist -d to see if the user's mailboxes were actually
> in mailboxes.db and yes they are.
> Dont have a clue about what to do now.
----
if you restore from a backup, you have to make sure that the 'user' has
sufficient ACL rights. Typically, this is done with cyradm.

lam user.craig
craig lrswipcda
cyrus lrswipcda

and if necessary (i.e. craig doesn't have lrswipcda rights)
sam user.craig craig lrswipcda

Craig

believed to be clean.