migrating Cyrus IMAPd from i386 to amd64 system

Jukka Salmi j+asg at 2010.salmi.ch
Sat Jun 26 10:38:37 EDT 2010

Patrick Boutilier --> info-cyrus (2010-06-24 22:16:47 -0300):
> How much data do you have to move?

It's not that much, about 2--3 GiB, but my upstream is only 640 kbit/s,
thus copying would take at least 8 hours or so...

> > Some basic questions:
> >
> > - Is Cyrus on amd64 able to read skiplist files created by Cyrus on
> >    i386?  (If not, I'd probably have to use cvt_cyrusdb(8) to dump and
> >    restore the relevant files.)
>
> Pretty sure it can. I moved a 2.2.x i386 system to a 2.3.x x86_64 system
> (Linux) a year ago.
>

> > - What about the cyrus.{cache,header,index,squat} files?  Can I expect
> >    Cyrus on amd64 to be able to read them just fine?  (This seems not to
> >    be that important since those files are easily recreated IIUC.)
> >

> Same as above. In my move I didn't even have to run reconstruct.

Thanks for the hints, I'll do the migration ASAP and will report any
interesting problems in case there are any...

Regards, Jukka

--
This email fills a much-needed gap in the archives.