very long cyr_expire at startup and no mail delivery

Marcus lists at localguru.de
Fri Jun 25 08:32:08 EDT 2010

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 25.06.2010, 13:19 +1000 schrieb Bron Gondwana:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 08:14:02PM -0300, Reinaldo de Carvalho wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Marcus <lists at localguru.de> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > because of a kernel update I had to restart my server. After the restart
> > > cyrmaster was running, but I couldn't connect to imap or pop3 port and
> > > sendmail couldn't communicate via socket with cyrus. A "ps ax" showed a
> > > running "cyr_expire" process for about 20 minutes. After the cyr_expire
> > > process finished everything worked fine again.
> > >  Question now: is there a way to avoid such long cyr_expire checks at
> > > startup or how to do a check by hand before shutting down the cyrus so a
> > > startup would become quicker?
> > >
> > > System: Debian/lenny
> > > Cyrus: 2.2.13-14+lenny3
> > > Sendmail: 8.14.3-5+lenny1
> > >

> > >From Korreio README:
> >
> >    6.4 After set expire values cyrus starter is slower
> >    ***************************************************
> >
> >        By default cyrus is configured in cyrus.conf to run delprune to
> >    remove expired messages at startup (START). Then messages will be
> >    processed before listen for connections. You should disable delprune
> >    at startup and add it to EVENTS:
> >
> >        delprune  cmd="/usr/sbin/cyr_expire -E 3" at=0100
> >
> >        So messages will be expired at 1pm. all days.
>
> Yeah - that.  Why on earth is cyr_expire in the startup?  EVENTS is the
> right place ( actually, we run it out of cron, but that's beside the point )

I thought delprune at startup is standard and therefore I was wondering
that it takes so long and more evil the service is down while cleaning
up deliver.db. The debian/lenny cyrus.conf looks like this for the START
and EVENTS section. So disable delprune in the START section will solve
that problem? May be a good idea the post this to the debian Wishlist
for the cyrus package.

Ciap,
Marcus

--------------------------

# Debian defaults for Cyrus IMAP server/cluster implementation
# see cyrus.conf(5) for more information
#
# All the tcp services are tcpd-wrapped. see hosts_access(5)
# $Id: cyrus.conf 567 2006-08-14 18:19:32Z sven $

START {
	# do not delete this entry!
	recover		cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_cyrusdb -r"

	# this is only necessary if idlemethod is set to "idled" in imapd.conf
	#idled		cmd="idled"

	# this is useful on backend nodes of a Murder cluster
	# it causes the backend to syncronize its mailbox list with
	# the mupdate master upon startup
	#mupdatepush   cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_mboxlist -m"

	# this is recommended if using duplicate delivery suppression
	delprune	cmd="/usr/sbin/cyr_expire -E 3"
	# this is recommended if caching TLS sessions
	tlsprune	cmd="/usr/sbin/tls_prune"
}
[...]
EVENTS {
	# this is required
	checkpoint	cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

	# this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
	delprune	cmd="/usr/sbin/cyr_expire -E 3" at=0401

	# this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
	tlsprune	cmd="/usr/sbin/tls_prune" at=0401

	# indexing of mailboxs for server side fulltext searches

	# reindex changed mailboxes (fulltext) approximately every other hour
	#squatter_1	cmd="/usr/bin/nice -n 19 /usr/sbin/squatter -s" period=120

	# reindex all mailboxes (fulltext) daily
	#squatter_a	cmd="/usr/sbin/squatter" at=0517
}