migrating Cyrus IMAPd from i386 to amd64 system

Jukka Salmi j+asg at 2010.salmi.ch
Thu Jun 24 20:30:49 EDT 2010

Hi

I'm currently running Cyrus IMAPd 2.2.13p1 on NetBSD/i386 without any
problems.  During the next few days I need to move the users' mailboxes
to a NetBSD/amd64 system which will run Cyrus IMAPd 2.3.16.  Some hints
about this would be appreciated.

The cleanest way would probably be to get Cyrus IMAPd running on the new
system and then to copy the mailboxes via IMAP (using imapsync(1) or
similar); but since the upstream on the old system is very slow I'd like
to avoid this approach if possible.

Since I can afford some hours of mail system downtime I'd prefer to copy
over a compressed archive containing all the mailboxes, extract it on
the new system and recursively run reconstruct(8) for all mailboxes;
then I'd probably copy over the contents of $configdirectory/user/ and
start Cyrus IMAPd.  Does this make sense?  And what data will I be
missing? ;-)

Some basic questions:

- Is Cyrus on amd64 able to read skiplist files created by Cyrus on
  i386?  (If not, I'd probably have to use cvt_cyrusdb(8) to dump and
  restore the relevant files.)

- What about the cyrus.{cache,header,index,squat} files?  Can I expect
  Cyrus on amd64 to be able to read them just fine?  (This seems not to
  be that important since those files are easily recreated IIUC.)

TIA, Jukka

--
This email fills a much-needed gap in the archives.