How to get plus formatted addresses delivered to sub-folders

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jun 18 15:14:29 EDT 2010

OS = CentOS-5.5
MTA = sendmail-8.13.1-3.3
IMAPD = cyrus-imapd-2.2.12-10

I have checked the archives of this list and followed threads on
several related venues trying to understand how to get this to work.
 I have not succeeded.

I have small, but somewhat complex, sendmail setup that involves two
public MX hosts and an internal and private sendmail server that
only accepts smtp connections from the public MX hosts.  Final
delivery through Cyrus-IMAPd takes place on the private host.

We support multiple domains using virtusertable.  We do not,
currently, assign domain specific user mailbox ids but just have
unique mailbox ids for everyone on that host.

What I would like to have happen, given this entry in virtusertable:

@.domain.tld              %1 at other_domain.tld

and this entry in the IMAP directory tree:

/var/spool/imap/b/user/bylmbx001/delivery/test

and a message with this email address:

bylmbx001+delivery+test at domain.tld

is to have the message placed directly in

/var/spool/imap/b/user/bylmbx001/delivery/test

The 'test' directory has the 'p' attribute set for the user 'anyone'.

The sendmail delivery setting are:

define(`CYRUSV2_MAILER_ARGS', `FILE /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp')dnl
define(`confLOCAL_MAILER',`cyrusv2')dnl
MAILER(`cyrusv2')dnl

I am not sure what imapd.conf settings, if any, apply.  The
cyrus.conf setting for delivery are:

# at least one LMTP is required for delivery
lmtpunix cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

I have been picking at this problem for years and have never been
able to get anywhere with it.  I would really like to nail this down
once and for all this time. I would greatly appreciate any help in
discovering how this is accomplished.

Canada  L8E 3C3