Live backup

Elver Loho elver.loho at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 05:08:47 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm looking to keep a live or near-live backup of our Cyrus system
(currently serving about 10 people with a fairly high volume of email)
and the murder system seems like an overkill for such a simple thing.
What other options do I have?

For MySQL I've set up master-slave replication. All the write queries
are replicated to the slave in near-real-time. It's good enough for
us. If the main server ever catches fire, we can promote the slave to
master and have an almost-up-to-the-second copy of things going on.
For PostgreSQL, I've set up a cronjob to dump the DB off the main
server every six hours and load it into the backup server. It's as
real-time as we need it.
Many folders that keep changing on the main server are rsynced over to
the backup server once a day.

What can I do with Cyrus that would be similar, but where I wouldn't
have to deploy scary murder? I don't want to access the Cyrus server
on the backup server, but I would like the ability to easily turn it
on after the main server fails and lose, at most, half an hour's worth
of emails.

Best,
Elver

elver.loho at gmail.com