cyrus replication and RENAME problem

Jukka Huhta jukka.huhta at helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 9 05:30:20 EDT 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 12:58:57PM +0200, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> > > Renaming forth and back is a way, but not a really good solution to this
> > > problem.
> >
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > Have you been able to fix this?  It seems a bug to me.
>
> Sorry, yes - it's a bug.  It will be fixed in 2.4 (as in, I've already
> come across it while rewriting the sync protocol and fixed it) - I'm not
> sure there's heaps of value backporting it to 2.3 right now.

Oh. I'm probably facing troubles because of this bug - I need to get
~25k user mailboxes moved to different partitions quite soon. When is
the 2.4 release expected and what about backwards compatibility?

> Another workaround is just to rename the folder on the replica as well.
> Presumably the admin is doing this, and it's a fairly rare case...

Currently I don't have any IMAP frontends on the replica, so the only
interface to the replica spools is the sync_client/sync_server (if you
don't count editing the databases by hand). Probably putting up one is
still a better workaround than really renaming mailboxes back and
forth.

Issuing a "renm user.foo user.foo another-backend!another-partition"
command on a frontend seems to move user.foo also on the replica, so
if it was possible to change also the backend, this would probably do
the trick?

-Jukka Huhta