OT: Enhanced IMAP protocol

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Thu Jan 7 00:19:28 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 13:50 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 20:35 +0530, ram wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 23:47 -0800, Rob Banz wrote:
> > > I would argue that it's out of scope -- credential management should
> > > be taken care of by your credential management system, be it through a
> > > web interface or whatever. Even if it were to be an accepted spec, the
> > > chances of all of the client-writers implementing it, and in a
> > > reasonable way, are slim to none.
> > Everyone need not implement it.
> > If  the protocol is available , I definitely know thunderbird will
> > have at least one extension within 2 days :-)
>
> Nothing is stopping you, or anyone, from creating a password management
> service and creating a related plugin/extension for TB.  This just
> doesn't have anything more to do with IMAP than it does with SMTP (why
> not extend the SMTP server?).

Right , Password change can be implemented at  SMTP too. And MUA plugins
are not the only advantages

I was infact watching my inbound mails quarantine and we are getting
hundreds of 419s from a US university mail server

There is a stupid account called "test" with password as "test" ( I
tested that myself! )   .. If there was a password change available at
SMTP or IMAP  I would have done the mailadmin a favor by changing the
password of the account and stop further damage.