Using xfer to migrate mailboxes to a new server

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Tue Feb 16 14:39:57 EST 2010

On 16 Feb 2010, at 06:35, Simon Fraser wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 11:29 +0000, David Mayo wrote:
>> Some additional things to look out for:
>>
>> - You must run this command on the existing back-end

This is true, but I'm not 100% positive why it's implemented this
way.  The (trivial) bit of code that would allow another host to
proxy for xfer isn't there.  The comment explaining why it's missing
seems bogus, to me.

>> - The mailbox *must* have a quota set
>
> I don't have quotas set, and it worked.  Is this only a requirement
> for
> moving to 2.3.x?

As I recall, if a quota has been *removed* from a mailbox, it can no
longer be xfer'd.  If it's never had one, it's not a problem.  This
is a bug, either in the xfer code or the quota removal code, take
your pick.

BTW, I almost always upgrade cyrus by adding a new host to the murder
and xfer'ing.  It hasn't always worked seamlessly, but I've
consistently contributed my bug changes back, so it works pretty well
between any version I've ever worked with -- quite a few.

:wes