Backup strategy for large mailbox stores

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Tue Feb 16 03:37:24 EST 2010

On Mon, February 15, 2010 6:27 pm, Vincent Fox wrote:
> I suppose replication and snapshots are out of the question for you?
>

> We run ZFS so snapshots are atomic and nearly instant.
> Thus we keep 14 days of daily snaps in our production pool
> for recovery purposes.  In our setup the total of all the snaps is about a 50%
> overhead on the production data which seems cheap to us dunno about you.

Vincent,

Not having enabled delayed expunge, we perform hourly ZFS snapshots and
keep those for two months. Our mailstores must be a bit quieter than yours
since we're at 30% storage overhead.
Our messages and metadata are in the same partitions, lzjb (default) com-
pression yielding 31% savings.

Regards,
Eric.