Using xfer to migrate mailboxes to a new server

Elver Loho elver.loho at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 08:25:32 EST 2010

Hi,

We've got Cyrus running fine on our old server since 2006. Now we're
setting up a new server and would like to migrate all the mailboxes
over to the new one before replacing the old server. For this task the
"xfer" command seems relevant.

I've coerced Cyrus on the old server to a point where cyradm gives the
following error when I try the xfer command:

localhost.localdomain> xfer user.elver 192.168.0.180
xfermailbox: Server(s) unavailable to complete operation

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. I might even be doing
everything wrong here. I've googled and it seems like xfer is a common
headache for Cyrus admins with no easy solution. However, it also
seems to be a particularly bad headache -- most old e-mails I've found
about this topic seem to have gone unanswered.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with getting xfer
to work in a migration scenario that they'd be willing to share.
Anyone?

Best,
Elver

elver.loho at gmail.com