Backup strategy for large mailbox stores

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Mon Feb 15 05:01:16 EST 2010

We have cyrus servers deployed at many places where clients have varying
mail storage.
We have been taking backups to help in situations of  human errors
( where you get complaints like ..oops, I accidentaly deleted all my
mails!! )  and in case of hardware failures

Things have been working fine but off late we find that emailusage has
grown and so our backups take too long to complete .. we use dar to take
differential backups and take backups everynight. and transfer the
backup files to a remote server.

If the backup is still running in the morning people notice a
considerable degradation of the server performance

Is there a better strategy , probably within the cyrus framework , to
take backups efficiently

Thanks
Ram