cyrus and 500k to >1M mails per inbox

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Thu Feb 11 10:39:25 EST 2010

On Thu, February 11, 2010 4:23 pm, Carsten Hoeger wrote:

> we have a customer running cyrus imap on RHEL5 cluster with a few thousand
> mailboxes. Every single mail is sent to a second host acting as a read-only
> archive (all imap acls set to no write access).
>
> The plan is, that all mail on that second host is kept for a long time.
>

> After some years, old mail will be purged automatically.
>

> It's quite likely, that these mailboxes will grow to 500000 or even more then
>  1M mails per mailbox.
>

> Does anybody have experience with such big mailboxes?

Carsten,

No, I do not count more than 50k msgs in our largest mailboxes but I'd also
welcome information on metadata (cyrus.index and cyrus.cache files) operations
on huge mailboxes.
Is the I/O cost of message adding relative to O(n), n being the number of msgs
already in the mailbox, or is it independent thereof ?

(question hereby asked to the entire info-cyrus audience)

Eric.