Option singleinstancestore in imapd.conf

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 22 21:47:28 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 00:00 -0200, Lucas Zinato Carraro wrote:
> Hi,
> i found this option in man imapd.conf
> singleinstancestore: 1
>
> If enabled, imapd, lmtpd and nntpd attempt to only write one copy of a
> message per partition and create hard links, resulting in a
> potentially large disk savings.
> This option works ?

Yes, very well.

> This option is supported when using lmtpproxyd( murder )  ?

No clue.

> I dont see any difference when i enable this.

If you deliver a message to multiple recipients in the same store
[partition?] then the message gets stored once with multiple hard-links.
You have to have you MTA configured carefully so in the case of multiple
local recipients the message is delivered *once* via LMTP and not once
for ever local recipient.

See
<http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.3.16/install-configure.php>
and the references LMTP_README in the Postfix docs.