Cyrus IMAP running in linux: recommended file system

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Thu Dec 16 22:26:48 EST 2010

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 06:09:58PM -0800, David Lang wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Lucas Zinato Carraro wrote:
>>
>>> I know that this question is controversy and there is no exact answer.
>>>
>>> But  currently what is the best file system in  Linux to handle
>>> thousands of small files?
>>> I have mailboxes with 4Gb. And messages with ~4Kb.
>>> Ext4 ?
>>
>> depending on who you ask you will get
>>
>> ext4
>> btrfs
>> XFS
>>
>> my personal opinion is that ext4 is still new enought that I don't trust it
>> fully (they are still finding too many problems and having to scramble to fix
>> them)
>
> Disagree - it's been quite stable for about a year now, and usable for at
> least two.  The stuff they're finding is skanky little edge cases that
> we haven't run in to at all, so I'm happy.
>
> We're running about 50% on ext4.  About 1% on btrfs (a testing store, no real
> users)

that's very fair. I'm probably biased on the fact that I read the linux-kernel
list and so see all the 'how in the world is it doing _that_' type of problems
that come up :-)

>> this makes btrfs much too new.
>
> Agree.
>
>> so I opt for XFS
>
> Performance with zillions of small files isn't XFS's strong suit.

lots of files works fine on XFS, what it is slow with is metadata operations
(creating or deleting lots of files), delayed expunge hides the latter problem.

David Lang