Cyrus IMAP running in linux: recommended file system

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Thu Dec 16 21:09:58 EST 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Lucas Zinato Carraro wrote:

> I know that this question is controversy and there is no exact answer.
>
> But  currently what is the best file system in  Linux to handle
> thousands of small files?
> I have mailboxes with 4Gb. And messages with ~4Kb.
> Ext4 ?

depending on who you ask you will get

ext4
btrfs
XFS

my personal opinion is that ext4 is still new enought that I don't trust it
fully (they are still finding too many problems and having to scramble to fix
them)

this makes btrfs much too new.

so I opt for XFS

you want to avoid ext2/ext3 as they do very poorly with large numbers of files
in one directory.

jfs and reiserfs (both 3 and 4) are options, but they are both used so seldom
that I would not be comfortable trusting them.

some people consider ext4 well tested enough, and then the debate between it and
XFS gets much more interesting.

Ted Tso will tell you that ext4 is only extensivly tested in the simple cases
(single drive, home system type of thing), while XFS has had a lot of attention
and testing on very large and sophisticated drive systems, so the larger and
more powerful the drive subsystem you have the more likely you are to run into
some corner case that the ext4 developers just haven't run into yet, but that
the XFS developers have handled.

David Lang