Shared mailboxes doc

Pascal Gienger pascal.gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Dec 14 14:34:28 EST 2010

Am 14.12.10 20:18, schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
> On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 14:14 -0500, Julien Vehent wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I was experimenting with shared mailboxes today. That's something new
>> I've never used before.
>> I wrote a wiki page of my setup on debian squeeze (still on cyrus 2.2)
>> and was wondering if that was the state of the art, or if there were any
>> better way to do it.
>> http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:cyrus:shared_mailbox
>> Also, I didn't find any documentation on the subject on the website. Did
>> I miss something ?
>
> Nope, that's about it.  They are very simple, and simple to use [once
> you manage to get *users* to understand them - which is the hard part].

We have rolled out SOGo as web-based groupware with email calendaring
and contacts for 13,000 users and it uses our Cyrus IMAP server
structure as backend for messages (using as session id obfuscator[1] as
this was not implemented in time of rollout, but it will be in version
1.3.5).

SOGo offers a sharing option and our users seem to understand IMAP
access rights with this web front end so we're happy.

IMAP ACLs remain abstract until a decent user interface appears. Users
_LOVE_ this feature but nearly nobody knows it because most IMAP clients
cannot set them.

[1] http://southbrain.com/south/2010/10/session-management-for-sogo.html
Pascal Gienger     Jabber/XMPP/Mail: pascal.gienger at uni-konstanz.de
University of Konstanz, IT Services Department ("Rechenzentrum")
Electronic Communications and Web Services
Building V, Room V404, Phone +49 7531 88 5048, Fax +49 7531 88 3739