Expunged emails after upgrade from 2.3.16 to 2.4.5

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Tue Dec 7 08:26:15 EST 2010

On 12/05/2010 10:58 PM, Stephen Carr wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Mea Culpa !!
>
> I think I was assuming that replication would work the same in 2.4.5 as
> it was in 2.3.16 - but it has had a major rewrite.
>
> I think the problem is I had this in the replica's cyrus.conf
>
> purgeall cmd="ipurge -f -d 150" at=2200
>
> So it impacted on the client / master but the replica the logs report
>
> Dec 5 01:00:02 proxy cyr_expire[25067]: Expunged 0 out of 640465
> messages from 1479 mailboxes
> Dec 6 01:01:27 proxy cyr_expire[29917]: Expunged 0 out of 588837
> messages from 1431 mailboxes
>
> The reason I suspect this has an impact is the -d 150 and I now suspect
> what happens on the replica is reflected on the master.

I didn't think changes on the replica would be reflected on the primary,
Bron can verify though.

Are you saying that when mail older than 150 days was purged on the
replica they also got purged on the primary?

> I had this parameter as I did not want the amount of emails to get
> massive - if an email was more than 150 days old it was lost.
>
> Now I know I was not using the replica as a true "image" of the master
> in that I have in the replica's imapd.conf the following
>
> expunge_mode: delayed
> delete_mode: delayed
>
> The reason for this is that I have had instances of users misconfiguring
> POP or deleting emails and then emptying Trash and asking where is the
> email from John Citizen.
> I have had to restore whole mail folders for a few users.
>
> So I was using the replica as a emergency backup store of emails.
>
> What do you recommend ?

I would recommend running delayed expunge and delayed delete on the
primary as well. That way you don't have to go to the replica at all to
restore deleted e-mails.

> I have disabled the purgeall command.
>
> Thanks
> Stephen Carr