disconnect_on_vanished_mailbox

Chris Conn cconn at abacom.com
Sat Dec 4 10:33:49 EST 2010

Hello,

I am looking at this option for 2.4.5;

disconnect_on_vanished_mailbox: 1

If enabled, IMAP/POP3/NNTP clients will be disconnected by the server if
the currently selected mailbox is (re)moved by another session.
Otherwise, the missing mailbox is treated as empty while in use by the
client.

Some techs have the nasty habit of renaming mailboxes as some sort of
means to remove POP3 locks on a dead customer session.  This renaming
atrocity seems to work on pop3 clients, however my tests show that if we
rename a mailbox on a active IMAP connection, the rename works, however
the original mailbox is only deleted once the socket times out or the
client closes his client.  I was hoping this option would disconnect the
IMAP client, as I added a pop3test to try and remove the IMAP mailbox
lock on the old mailbox, but to no avail.  The end result is a duplicate
account, mail is moved to the new mailbox and we have to manually move
back the mailbox name.

Is there any way I can cheat on a mailbox lock to allow a rename when an
active IMAP connection is on that locked mailbox?

Chris