issue with refresh and expunge after updating to 2.4.5

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 2 06:28:17 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 10:59:24AM +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> The INBOX never refreshes itself anymore, if I want to see new messages,
> I need to kill alpine and restart it again. Also I cannot expunge
> messages anymore. When I mark messages as deleted then try to expunge,
> alpine tells me than '[No messages expunged from folder "INBOX"]'.

Can you please enable telemetry and tell me what it shows in this case.
You'll need to create a directory /var/imap/log/$username/ where $username
is your username.  You'll need to make sure that directory is owned by
the cyrus user.

> Note that the only thing I updated was cyrus, all my clients are the
> same than before and all was working fine with 2.3.16. I know this isn't
> a proper bug report, I'm not sure what more I can include, so just let
> me know. Basically, mail delivery works but never shows up in the INBOX
> display...

I'd like to find out what's going on!

> /etc/cyrus.conf

All looks fine.

> /etc/imapd.conf

> unixhierarchysep: 1

I don't run this myself, but lots of people do - it should be working
fine.  I should probably set up a test instance with it on!

> lmtp_downcase_rcpt: 1
> username_tolower: 1

This is the only thing I can see that looks maybe-strange.  Are you
actually using a non-lower-case username to log in?  I wonder if there
are bugs in the "detect if it's your INBOX" code if the username doesn't
actually match up.

Bron.