migration from 2.1.x to 2.4.5

Ron Vachiyer proutfoo at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 09:40:07 EST 2010

Hello,

I am pretty much done testing a 2.4.5 Cyrus setup to replace an aging (2.1.x) installation.  I have about 36GB of spool, 11,000 accounts or so.

I have done some small-scale testing of using imapsync to fetch the contents of the legacy imap folders which seem to work successfully.  My question is, when it comes time to migrate, is it safe to allow lmtpd to forward mails to mailboxes that theoretically could be getting imapsync'ed at that time?  Or is my only option to spool inbound emails until the imapsync is done?  I'm guessing that, from the speed I saw imapsync run, that this might take a good number of hours to complete.  As well, is it safe/unsafe to allow imap/pop3 connections to those same mailboxes during the sync?

I am open to any ideas should I be looking at this migration the wrong way.  I read about using rsync to copy the files directly, however I am wondering if the jump between 2.1 and 2.4 might be too large and cause unforseen issues.

Thanks,

Ron