Cyrus replication and failover best pracistes

Dmitry Ivanov divanov at vtsystems.com
Mon Aug 9 12:15:36 EDT 2010

	Hello!
Folks, looking through maillist history i saw that many of you are
running cyrus in rolling replication mode. I am interested in
configuring cyrus replica to use as a standby imap server, where we can
switch DNS in case of problems with primary backend. While testing on
playground I got some problems and several questions appeared, may be
you can help me to solve this.

1. Is it safe to leave "sync_host:" options in imapd.conf and running
sync_server (due to record in cyrus.conf) on both master and replica,
and start only sync_client -r on master server? Or better to have
different config files for different roles?

2. Is there any way to solve issue when master overwrites messages with
the same filename on replica (messages that were not synced before
disaster happened) during syncing back to primary host? "guid_mode:
sha1" set.

May be some one can describe method of switching between replicated
backends in production? For now I want to switch DNS and and than
start/stop sync_client daemon.

Thank you for assistance!

--

Dmitry S. Ivanov