POP3d won't timeout, seems stuck on a write.

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Mon Aug 2 13:13:29 EDT 2010

List,

I have the latest cyrus 2.3.16 but I run into frequent pop lock issues
where the pop3 server process just won't timeout and it locks the
account.  I have used a patch followed on this list that allows me to
set a pop3timeout less than 10 minutes and currently it's set at 3
minutes but that didn't help because the server doesn't seem to honor
any timeout.

To test that the client isn't sending anything, I connected to the
process with strace and it shows absolutely nothing going:

root at server:/var/log# time strace -p 16996
Process 16996 attached - interrupt to quit
write(1, "3nI8\212S%\315\n\221\363m\213\203\377\3101\30(\334\332"..., 2762

 <unfinished ...>
Process 16996 detached

real	17m0.327s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.004s

It looks like it's stuck on a write of some kind, but that is blocking
the timeout.

Anyone have any ideas?  This problem is causing upper management to want
to switch to exchange and I really don't want to deal with that.

schu