setting the seen flag?

Mike Eggleston mikeegg1 at mac.com
Wed Apr 28 10:43:38 EDT 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Dan White might have said:

> On 27/04/10 14:28 -0500, Mike Eggleston wrote:
> >Is there an easy to set the \Seen flag on all messages for a specific
> >user. I would like something as easy as 'chmod -R -x $user' if that
> >is possible.
> >
> >I'm not using murder, just a single, small 25-account setup.
>
> As far as I know, that can only be done via protocol.
>
> The following command should work for a given user's (e.g. jsmith) INBOX:
>
> cat << EOF | imtest -a cyrus -w secret -u jsmith localhost
> >a01 select INBOX
> >a02 uid store 1:* +flags (\seen)
> >a03 logout
> >EOF
>
> You'll need to have 'proxyservers: cyrus' set in imapd.conf.
>
> --
> Dan White

Dan,

Thank you for the imtest command. I didn't realize I could do this with imtest.
This morning I used the command (bash shell loop) as root (for the find to find
the user's folders):

cd /var/spool/imap
find user/$user -type d -print | sed 's,/,.,g' | sed 's/^/"/' | sed 's/$/"/' | while read folder
do
	echo 1 select $folder > /tmp/c1
	echo "2 uid store 1:* +flags (\seen)" >> /tmp/c1
	echo 3 logout >> /tmp/c1
	imtest -a cyrus -w $password -u ejsg localhost < /tmp/c1
done

I found no errors from the command's output, nor did I find any errors in
/var/log/maillog, but the user says the message is still marked 'unread'
by Outlook.

What can I try next or what can I look for why this is not working? I'll
set a bunch of my messages to 'unread' and try the same command on
my account.

Mike