SELECT and EXAMINE don't seem to reflect actual message flag counts

Dan Smith rrdansmith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 18:14:29 EDT 2010

I'm sure there is a really simple explanation for this, so apologies up
front if this wastes anyone's time.

I have a mailbox on a cyrus system (v2.3.7-Invoca-RPM-2.3.7-2) with 5
messages that I am accessing via IMAP (no client - just direct IMAP in a
telnet session).

I remove the \Seen flag from all messages. (: STORE 1:* -Flags (\Seen))
I do a SELECT or EXAMINE of the mailbox (it's my Inbox).
SELECT shows that I have 1 message unseen.
I grab all flags (: FETCH 1:* flags) and see that all 5 messages are lacking
the \Seen flag.

So why isn't SELECT showing the right counts?
Is there some trigger that updates the data for EXAMINE or SELECT?
I have tried various things (SELECTing another folder, logging out and in,
waiting a while), and it doesn't seem to change.

It seems like the data from SELECT and EXAMINE can't be trusted, so for all
activities I really need to check the message flags themselves.
Is that accurate?

Thanks!

-dan