Implement Cyrus IMAPD in High Load Enviromment

Robert Banz rob at nofocus.org
Tue Sep 29 13:33:35 EDT 2009

With my ever-growing experience with these things, I'm tending to
think that application-level HA solutions are a much more robust way
of dealing with the potential failure modes of hardware or software.

While this doesn't mean you shouldn't buy reasonably robust hardware
(not the cheapest thing that falls off the truck), what it does is
mean is that you should probably spend that extra money you would have
spent on that redundant storage system and hot-plug-gable whatsit with
replicating your server environment and allowing application-level
replication such as Cyrus offers to do the rest.

This does mean that we need to lean on software "vendors", be it
people we pay or ourselves to create applications that provide for
application-layer high availability. However, in the long run it IS a
much more robust solution, and covers a much larger number of failure
domains for the time and money spent than throwing money and effort at
covering the handful of failure-domains that comprise a hardware
system -- since that really is an infinite money pit.

These "quality" enterprise software solutions that we're sold today
that rely on "fault tolerant" hardware, instead of being "fault
tolerant" themselves are not acceptable.

-rob