INBOX Prefix problem with sasldb authentication

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Sep 23 15:48:07 EDT 2009

On 23/09/09 21:30 +0200, Frédéric MERCIER wrote:
>>> Authentication with sasldb2 :
>>>
>>> myserver:~# telnet localhost 993
>>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>>> Connected to localhost.
>>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=CRAM-MD5
>>> AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR COMPRESS=DEFLATE] myserver.mydomain.net Cyrus
>>> IMAP v2.3.15 server ready
>>> . login test at mydomain.net mypassword
>>> . OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED
>>> COMPRESS=DEFLATE ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE
>>> UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT
>>> SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE
>>> CATENATE CONDSTORE SCAN IDLE URLAUTH] User logged in
>>> . list "*" "*"
>>> * LIST (\HasChildren) "." "user.test"
>>> * LIST (\HasChildren) "." "user.test.Administratif"
>>> etc ...
>>>
>>> user.test is not set as INBOX Prefix. The result is that my MUA is not
>>> able to find my mails ...

The 'user' prefix is displayed for mailboxes that the authenticated user has
ACL access to, but is not perceived to be the user's own mailboxes.

Or in other words, if you were to authenticate as jsmith, and attempt to
view the mailboxes for msmith, you will get the 'user' prefix.

cyrus imapd believes that test at mydomain.net and test are different
users. You can either create a mailbox for test at mydomain.net, or configure your
virt domain options (defaultdomain).

--