delete_mode: delayed not always working?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 23 07:04:47 EDT 2009

Hi,

we're running 2.3.14 with "delete_mode: delayed" in /etc/imapd.conf
(actually it's the default in Simon Matter's RPM). It's generally working
fine, and I have restored a few accidentally deleted mailboxes this way.
But today there was a case where a mailbox seems to have been deleted
immediately. Here's what I've found:

Sep 22 11:41:39 lvr13 imap[3032]: Deleted mailbox
user.xxx.Fakultaet.Raumfragen.Dekanat

It may be important to know that the mailbox in question had an ACL that
allowed other users access. One of the other users accidentally deleted it,
not the owner!

So I looked for the mailbox, but it couldn't be found:

> lm DELETED/user/xxx/*

The output of "ctl_mboxlist -d  | grep DELETED" didn't include it, either.
Fortunately I had a flashcopy from which I could restore the mailbox, but
still I wonder what happened. Before I look at the code myself, I wanted to
ask if someone knows offhand if there are known circumstances that cause
mailboxes to be deleted immediately.

NB: it couldn't have been expunged in the meantime. We call cyr_expire like
this: cyr_expire -E 3 -X 3 -D 3. There isn't a cyr_expire line for that
mailbox, either.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.