Same mailbox with different logins

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 18 09:24:08 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 03:43:20PM +0300, Evgeniy Arbatov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A question: I want users authenticating with two different usernames
> to Cyrus IMAP to be able to access the same mailbox.
>
> For example, I wish this to be the case ("login name" -> "mailbox"):
>
> username -> user/firstname.lastname at domain
> firstname.lastname at domain ->  user/firstname.lastname at domain
>
> What would be the way to proceed?

Well - we just put an nginx proxy in front, and have the authentication
daemon return the "correct" username to pass to the backend, regardless
of the username used.  That's one option.

What's the use case anyway?  You can use aliases for delivery, why does
the one user need two different usernames?

Bron.