Same mailbox with different logins

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Fri Sep 18 09:23:49 EDT 2009

Hi Evgeniy!

> For example, I wish this to be the case ("login name" -> "mailbox"):
>
> username -> user/firstname.lastname at domain
> firstname.lastname at domain ->  user/firstname.lastname at domain

First of all, I personally don't recommend this naming scheme for a
number of reasons:

1. Names of people may change over time or just need a correction. But
renaming a mailbox in Cyrus is non trivial!
2. Same for domain names. Think additional domain names, for example.

We have set up our system in a way that the mailbox name is an entirely
arbitrary technical id, such as XXXyyyyy with XXX beding a kind of group
/ customer prefix and yyyyy being just a unique number.

Independent of that and despite a number of wrong answers to this
question on the archives of this list:

If the authentication id of the user (commonly called "username") and
the mailbox name are going to be any different from each other, you need
to use a canon_user sasl plugin to make this happen. You can *not* solve
this using any kind of mapping which is hidden in your authentication
mechanism, such as PAM or LDAP, simple because after a successful
authentication imapd / popd will always search for a mailbox with the
name of the authentication id and the only hook you have there is the
canon_user API, which is what the canon_user API got made for.

HTH

Regards,
Torsten