fyi, problem with compile_sieve on RHEL 5.4 x86_64 (2.3.7-7)

Paolo Cravero pcravero at as2594.net
Wed Sep 16 04:23:56 EDT 2009

For the records, in case someone gets stuck in the same problem.

I installed a test environment x86_64 with RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.4 using
their official RPMs cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5.x86_64.rpm and related.

I couldn't get complie_sieve to work, it coredumped right after opening the
output file for writing.

Solution: compiled invoca's 2.3.14 SRPM.

Since I was still setting up the system I don't know if other
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd programs fail.

At the time being there is no more recent RPM on RH official repository.

One more note for x86_64 and PAM authentication with LDAP backend. In
/etc/pam.d/imap (smtp, pop, sieve, lmtp) files I had to use explicitly 64bit
libraries:

auth        sufficient   /lib64/security/pam_ldap.so
account     sufficient   /lib64/security/pam_ldap.so

while /lib/security/pam_ldap.so did not log any error but did not authenticate
at all, not even opened the TCP connection to LDAP server. I'm not that much
into 64bit yet, so others might find this info useful too.

Paolo