Cyrus-Imapd on Linux-iSCSI

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 9 00:51:20 EDT 2009

> - cyrus-imapd-2.3.7 (from RHEL5/CentOS-5) with some minor patches in the
>  popd (UUID format and an enhancement to the authentication - both
>  shouldn't have any impact on the storage part)

As I'm sure others will mention, this is a quite old cyrus now with many
known bugs.

You chould definitely consider upgrading to Simon Matters RPMs

<http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/>

> It happened now and then and is somewhat inconvenient.
> And it's not fun if the /var/log partition is full just because
> cyr_expire stumbles over a corrupted BDB.

We used to see this every now and then as well, but it's stopped since we
fixed this bug:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cyrus-devel@lists.andrew.cmu.edu/msg01123.html

I'm not sure if Bron has commited this back to cyrus CVS for the next
release yet, but if not, it should definitely get included.

> We switched to iSCSI just recently - so that's the only really "new"
> thing in the setup.

I think it's either a coincidence (eg the bug is not iSCSI related), or if
it is iSCSI related, it's not directly related, and probably just caused by
timing race changes created by a change in the storage layer.

Rob