Migrating 32bit to 64bit Debian Lenny

Bill Cameron billcamer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 19:16:20 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Ross Boylan<ross at biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Did you install cyrus on the new server before or after the steps
> described below?  It sounds as if it was before, just by the references
> to shutting it down on the new server and
> to /usr/lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.active.

I installed the cyrus packages before transferring any data between
servers. I then shut down cyrus on the new server and started rsyncing
the data.

> Also, do you have any sense of the speed and accuracy of this method as
> opposed to imapsync?

I've only used imapsync for moving mailboxes from Lotus Domino to
cyrus. Domino is slow serving imap and it took longer to imapsync the
same mailbox from Domino to cyrus then rsync it from 32 bit to 64 bit
cyrus machines. I would think that imapsync would be slower because of
all the imap communication overhead. The advantage of imapsync is that
you don't have to shutdown either system.

Bill C.