Migrating 32bit to 64bit Debian Lenny

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 2 18:06:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 10:46:35AM -0600, Bill Cameron wrote:
> > I'm wondering how much of all this was really needed for the migration
> > from 32bit to 64bit? Are the BerkeleyDB ondisk files different on
> > 32/64bit?
> >

> I initially tried just using rsync with cyrus shutdown on both servers
> but cyrus failed to start on the new server due to db errors. As
> mentioned this is due to the architecture of the libdb4.so file.
>
> Further testing showed which files worked and which ones didn't.

Thankfully skiplist is immune to such nonsense and just keeps working
across any architecture or underlying version change (apart from a
couple of bugs that are only fixed in CVS at the moment - *sigh*)

We've recently switched to using skiplist even for deliver and
TLS databases.  It works fine.  Possibly not quite as efficient,
but we haven't noticed a difference in the load on the machines.

Though - I do wonder how many problems we've had with BDB were
caused by idled forking with an environment reference and then
closing it in the parent, causing the reference count to be
incorrect.  There's a patch for that in CVS too.

Bron.