Cyrus v2.2 and v2.3 interoperability

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Sep 1 14:02:24 EDT 2009

Quoting Eli Ben-Shoshan <linkages at ufl.edu>:

> We are now in the planning phase of moving to the cyrus v2.3 branch.
> We will be
> installing all v.2.3.7 nodes since that is what is the latest
> available in RHEL 5.3.

I don't know which patches where backported to v.2.3.7 in RHEL 5.3
but there where many bugs in 2.3.7 that are now fixed in 2.3.14 which
are IMHO worth installing cyrus 2.3.14 from the source

> We would like to upgrade just the frontends and mupdate first since we are
> redesigning our backend's storage infrastructure. Later on we plan
> on upgrading
> the backends to v2.3 with replication.
>
> Can this be done?
> Is it safe to run v2.3 frontends and mupdate while keeping v.2.2 backends?

You must upgrade the backends first.

> Should we leave mupdate at v2.2 and upgrade just the frontends to v2.3?
> Are there specific versions of cyrus to avoid in this situation?
> Has anyone actually done this before?
>
> Any insights are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen