Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Mon Oct 26 15:21:38 EDT 2009

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Xavier Bestel wrote:

>>> in my mind, having the IMAP client copy all messages to the local drive
>>> goes a
>>> long way to defeating the benifits of using IMAP in the first place.
>>
>> The drive is not exactly local, it's on a separate server (which does
>> mainly mail and file server), which is accessed remotely or not,
>> depending on who uses it and when.
>
> I was responding to Greg, who was saying that all modern IMAP clients will
> copy
> the mail to the local drive so that they can work offline.

There is another point which can be very important in the corporate world:
even if the mail clients are so wonderful that they can connect to
multiple servers and copy mail between them and you can configure
everything so nicely in a hundred config windows and tabs, maybe you
simply don't want to configure it on the client side but prefer to do as
much as possible on the server side. Then you can use tools like
fetchmail, cronjobs, scripts to glue things together. That way you are
also free to use whatever client you want, you don't depend so much on the
clients features.

Regards,
Simon