Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Mon Oct 26 13:07:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> At Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:37:30 -0700 (PDT), David Lang <david.lang at digitalinsight.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client
>>
>> I possibly missed it, but I didn't see anything that said that fetchmail was
>> grabbing things via IMAP.
>
> Yup, I think you missed it.
>
>> if you have intermittent/expensive-per-min internet connectivity doing something
>> like this has value.
>
> Nope, not really.   All modern useful IMAP clients can work offline too.
>
> All another IMAP server is doing is adding to the complexity _and_
> decreasing, i.e. lowering, the robustness of the overall solution.
>
>> another reason to run your own server is just to be free from quotas. many ISPs
>> have small mail quotas.
>
> All modern useful IMAP clients can also store message locally -- moving
> them from server to server, or server to local (or back), is as simple
> as selecting and saving/dragging messages between folders.

in my mind, having the IMAP client copy all messages to the local drive goes a
long way to defeating the benifits of using IMAP in the first place.

what do you consider a 'modern IMAP client' that is actually reasonably
efficiant to use? there are a lot of 'IMAP clients' out there that treat IMAP as
if it was POP (downloading everything and then working on it locally, taking
_no_ advantage of the server capabilities) I am interested in finding such a
client because at the moment I am using pine and mulberry, both of which are
very good at using the server, but not exactly 'modern'.

David Lang