Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Thu Oct 22 21:15:33 EDT 2009

At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:54:12 +0200, Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr> wrote:
Subject: Re: Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

> Le mardi 20 octobre 2009 à 13:00 -0700, David Lang a écrit :
> > On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > > At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:36:24 +0200, Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr> wrote:
> > > Subject: Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

> > > I don't get it.  Are you saying you are using fetchmail to inject
> > > messages into a locally running Cyrus install which you then connect to
> > > with a locally running IMAP MUA?
> >
> > I think what he is saying is that he does not have a MTA. he uses fetchmail to
> > download mail from elsewhere and put it in cyrus.
> >
> > currently he crons fetchmail to run once a min so that when people are logged in
> > they see new mail with low latencies.
> >
> > however, if nobody is logged in to Cyrus, this is a waste of time, and he would
> > be better off running fetchmail less frequently (or not at all).
> >
> > so he is asking if there is a way to tell if anyone is connected to Cyrus or
> > not, so that if not he can skip the fetchmail run.
>
> Yes, that's it, precisely.

OK, that's just the kind of crazy overkill and complexity I was talking about.

If you don't have an MTA (but you do have an IMAP-capable MUA), then you
really do not need or want Cyrus, and you certainly do not want
fetchmail either.

Just use your IMAP MUA directly for goodness sake!

Why all this madness of many unnecessary layers that are just causing
way too much confusion?

That said, there are a million hacks that could be used, but all they do
is increase the complexity ever more.  Cyrus IMAP itself doesn't
directly support this kind of thing though.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>      Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>