Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Tue Oct 20 16:00:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:36:24 +0200, Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr> wrote:
> Subject: Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client
>>
>> I have a small install with cyrus-imapd 2.3.14, which reads some of its
>> mails with fetchmail. To limit the delay in mail delivery, fetchmail
>> awakes each minute to get mails.
>> What I would like is let fetchmail do that only when there's a client
>> actually reading its mails, i.e. an MUA actually connected to imapd.
>
> I don't get it.  Are you saying you are using fetchmail to inject
> messages into a locally running Cyrus install which you then connect to
> with a locally running IMAP MUA?

I think what he is saying is that he does not have a MTA. he uses fetchmail to
download mail from elsewhere and put it in cyrus.

currently he crons fetchmail to run once a min so that when people are logged in
they see new mail with low latencies.

however, if nobody is logged in to Cyrus, this is a waste of time, and he would
be better off running fetchmail less frequently (or not at all).

so he is asking if there is a way to tell if anyone is connected to Cyrus or
not, so that if not he can skip the fetchmail run.

David Lang