ctl_cyrusdb I/O requirements

Anthony Tibbs anthony-list at tibbs.ca
Sun Oct 4 12:19:34 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm running Cyrus 2.3.14 on a VPS (Gentoo), and have been for a number
of years now.  All was well until last night when performance went down
the tubes and I started seeing high I/O wait times.  I'm pretty sure
this is a problem on the hosting end, but in trying to diagnose the
source of the I/O congestion, the closest I could come to answer was
that ctl_cyrusdb is reading/writing about 15-20 4096b blocks (from the
/var/imap/db/* files) per second.    This amounts to read/write
throughput in the 250kb/second range.

Is this "normal" behaviour?  I never noticed before, but it's the only
thing I see that is constantly generating I/O...

Take care,
Anthony