Question about 'flagged' attribute

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Mon Nov 23 09:48:30 EST 2009

On 23/11/09 10:17 +0100, Julien Vehent wrote:
>I was wondering if there were any undergoing work to extend the "flagged"
>attribute of IMAP into something more configurable ?
>
>I am thinking of some sort of labelling similar to what is implemented on
>gmail, for example, but also with the wirtual folders in Outlook and
>extended tagging in Thunderbird.

Per RFC 3501 (page 63):

       PERMANENTFLAGS

          Followed by a parenthesized list of flags, indicates which of
          the known flags the client can change permanently.  Any flags
          that are in the FLAGS untagged response, but not the
          PERMANENTFLAGS list, can not be set permanently.  If the client
          attempts to STORE a flag that is not in the PERMANENTFLAGS
          list, the server will either ignore the change or store the
          state change for the remainder of the current session only.
          The PERMANENTFLAGS list can also include the special flag \*,
          which indicates that it is possible to create new keywords by
          attempting to store those flags in the mailbox.

It appears 2.3.x supports '\*':

dwhite at thebrain:~$ imtest ...
<cut>
Authenticated.
111 select INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
<cut>
111 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
222 store 1 +flags (reallyreallyimportant)
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen reallyreallyimportant)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen
* reallyreallyimportant \*)]
222 OK Completed
333 search keyword reallyreallyimportant
* SEARCH 1
333 OK Completed (1 msgs in 0.000 secs)
444 logout
* BYE LOGOUT received