configuration option for db-files in a different path than mailboxes?

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Fri Nov 20 07:26:51 EST 2009

On 11/20/2009 07:17 AM, Ingo Steuwer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in building a test-environment where I'd like to setup my cyrus mail spoll
> (/var/spool/cyrus/mail) on a NFS filesystem. I know that locking issues in
> NFSv3 prevent a clean mail delivery with cyrus and want to give NFSv4 a try.
>
> My suspect from older tests was, that the handling of cyrus.index and
> other "database"-files (cyrus.cache, cyrus.header, cyrus.squat) isn't
> possible on NFSv3. Beside changing the NFS version, I thougt of an option
> where those files are stored on a different (non-NFS) partition.
>
> Does anybody know about a way to configure the path of those files? Or are
> there ways to move them after creation?

What version of Cyrus? In 2.3.x you can use the metapartition options in
imapd.conf

To move existing metatadata use the tools/migrate-metadata script in the
source tarball.

metapartition_files: <empty string>
             Space-separated list of metadata files to be stored on a
metapartition rather than in the mailbox directory on a spool partition.

             Allowed values: header, index, cache, expunge, squat

        metapartition-name: <none>
             The pathname of the metadata partition name, corresponding
to spool partition partition-name.  For  any  mailbox  residing  in  a
             directory  on  partition-name,  the  metadata  files listed
in metapartition_files will be stored in a corresponding directory on
             metapartition-name.   Note that not every partition-name
option is required to have a corresponding metapartition-name option, so
             that you can selectively choose which spool partitions will
have separate metadata partitions.