Is there a graceful shutdown of imapd process?

Dan Smith rrdansmith at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 13:13:49 EST 2009

My goal is to be able to reload the imapd.conf file for imap processes
without impacting currently connected subscribers.
I know that there are some patches available to allow this to be done with a
SIGHUP, but until they are widely accepted and one is brought into the code
thread, we will probably shy away from it.

I was wondering if another approach would be possible.
Is there any way that anyone can think of of that would stop an imapd
process from taking on new connections without impacting the existing ones?

If there were, I could block new connections for one process at a time and
when all connections were drained off, restart it.

Any other ideas about how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

-dan