ANNOTATEMORE => METADATA and rfc 5464

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 17 07:28:49 EST 2009

I'm in the process of implementing rfc 5464, which is what the
ANNOTATEMORE drafts turned into.

Unfortunately, Cyrus' support is an early draft, before the paths
to everything were changed and the commands were renamed.  It would
be great to be complient, and there is software out there like Kolab
which would benefit from it.

Also, the database format is pretty nasty - complete with nulls
embedded in keys and other fun stuff (like platform dependent type
lengths codified in the format, ick)

So I'm thinking: create a new metadata.db, require a conversion on upgrade
from annotations.db.  I had a look, and none of our servers had ANY
annotations until I added a /comment to my INBOX for testing.

Does anybody out there use annotations much?  Does anybody know any code
that would be broken by changing the way annotations are done?

Thanks,

Bron.